Nine Tips on Selecting Strategic Sourcing Consultants.
Strategic sourcing consultants offer a means to
energize employees when companies change their strategic sourcing
Most strategic sourcing consultants are not
individuals. Rather, they are teams of consultants trained and
experienced at taking organizations with classic transactional
procurement systems and transitioning them to effective a form of
strategic sourcing methodology.
Here are nine tips of finding the right strategic sourcing consultants for your business:
- Ensure they are independent and not aligned with any provider.
Many PSP companies and other e
procurement companies offer strategic sourcing consultants. These
individuals can indeed help you, but they are biased in the systems
they will recommend.
- Review the quality of the individual consultants resumes.
Birds of a feather flock together. Failing to screen
the quality of the individual consultants can result in you paying top
dollar for mediocre people.
- Ask for references from companies or a similar size or from within your sector.
Not all implementations are created
equal. The strategic sourcing consultants you select should be familiar
with your industry and comfortable working with a business similar in
size and function to yours.
- Meet team members, ensure they get you excited about strategic sourcing.
If they are not energized, they cannot
energize your team. Consultants should be passionate and confident
about the gains they can achieve for your company.
- Review their training plan for your team.
Ensure the plan includes both formal training and documentation of the informal learning along the way.
- Leverage their knowledge to select the right strategic sourcing manager for the road forward.
If you do not already have a strategic
sourcing manager in mind, ask the strategic sourcing consultants to
draw up the job description they would recommend for that role at your
company. If it does not match your concept, either you are not thinking
in the right direction or they are not the right company for you.
- Review their plan for centralizing your purchasing data.
This will let you know quickly if the company understands the complexities of your business.
- Understand their methodology for forming cross functional teams.
Strategic sourcing consultants do not
necessarily understand your business – but they should if they are to
win the contract to implement your strategic sources.
- Find out what internal support the consultant or consultant team will need.
Rather than viewing it as a weakness,
find out if their proposal involves requirements for you to provide
support staff. That indicates they have respect for keeping your costs
down during implementation.
By keeping these nine tips of screening your
strategic sourcing consultants in play, you can find the right group to
start your company on the road to significant savings.
Return from Strategic Sourcing Consultants to Definition of Sourcing
Return from Strategic Sourcing Consultants to Purchasing Procurement Center Homepage